Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Much ado about Blogging!

Web logging has come so far. I started a website: “Cinders Garbage” as a freshman in high school, in 1998. I wanted a place to keep a journal of my daily life, on the Internet. I made my own weblog by adding entries to a single page for each month of the year and separated each entry with a line break and had separate pages for months and years. It was a little time consuming though. Each time I wanted to update my journal I would actually have to go into the code of the page and update it that way. So I didn’t update very often. After awhile some web sites came along that made it easier to have a journal on the web. I started using DiaryLand.com which was not too bad but a little boring and really had no way of communicating with other bloggers on the site besides a main page that had links to the newest five entries from their users. I also tried other sites like Greymatter.com (which is now a software site) and Blogger.com which had more customizability but not the community I was looking for. After a year or so a fellow blogger and friend of mine mentioned a new site that was really getting a lot of attention named Livejournal.com. I eventually got a journal there and have been posting to it for years now and I can also read about my friends’ lives because everyone I know has one.
I have never really used my blog as a way to post news that would be relevant to the general public but I find the ones that do very interesting. Once and awhile I will take a search through journals to see what's going on in the world today and people’s opinions on what's happening. Some times it can be difficult to differentiate between the two because some people feel that their opinions are the facts and that can be misleading to people who don’t know how to look for that. It almost scares me that the media would be going to blogs to see what is happening because I only see the blogs that all opinions.
Blogs could be a good source of information for mass consumption but people must be careful to make sure they are getting the facts and not just really well written opinions.